Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mommy Moment

At our adult preschool night meetings, there's always a specific topic of discussion. Last night was about positive relationships with your spouse and your children. In one of the many discussions we had, one was about getting your kids to talk after school. One of the moms said she asks her kids, two specific questions...what was the best thing that happened at school and what was the worse thing that happened at school? I thought they were excellent questions since the usual response to my question "How was school today?" I get the "fine" with the "don't ask any more questions, mom" eyes. So today I tried it out!!! Here were the answers:

JR..worst...someone broke my pencil (which preceded into a discussion about why someone else was even holding his pencil) :)
best...he couldn't really come up with one at first...but then he remembered that he helped one of his friends with his work in class so that was a good thing.

Before Sierra could "play" along, I had to define best/worst to her so we came up w/ the happiest thing and the saddest thing.

Sierra...best (happy)...was drawing a really good giraffe today with pink spots
worst (saddest)...when Nathan got hurt and his elbow bled (I had no idea that Sierra even knew this happened to a boy at school...but this definitely shows Sierra's personality!)

So fast-foward to dinner...we're telling Dave about our new "questions" mommy asks after school. JR then says "Actually, my worst thing today was when I farted in class. Everybody laughed even though I said excuse me." Our conversation then turned into how embarrassing things happen to all of us sometimes. You can bet, though, I did get a bit of snicker out of it myself. Can't wait to hear tomorrow's best and worst :) Give it a try!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Jenn, (I'm snooping on this blog now...sorry, I love blogs) I loved the best/worst idea, too. I discussed this w/ my husband at dinner tonight (after he asked Flynn what he learned at school today) and we are going to use it. We also had to change it to happiest and saddest. :) Here I was, grumbling a little about having to attend the class and I learned so much from it.
~Jovita

Jayson & Carrie said...

That is great advice! I'm going to start asking Jayden those questions. Thanks for sharing!! :)

Unknown said...

That is so funny! Great ideas... Love ya!

Naomi said...

I was reading this and laughing and Nate came over and asked what I was laughing at. "This blog" was my reply and I left it at that. ;)