Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Tree Tile

Since my brother passed away two years ago this week, I've had a new holiday dilemma. I need to make something to put at his grave site for the holidays. It can't just be anything because it has to be able to stay together through several inches (possibly feet) of snow. This has also made me more inclined to make things for my grandpa's, my nephew's, and my father-in-law's grave sites also. This year I really put it off (I think it's still part of the denial stage for me) so I had to come up w/ something in less than 12 hours before I sealed up the package to mail to my mom. Last year I made more tile coasters and trivets than I can count so that's where this idea stemmed from.

I stamped on the tile in staz-on ink, baked it for 30 minutes on 300 degrees, and then sprayed it with Krylon spray. Hopefully, it will hold up to the moisture. It's just another way to remember my brother and our other loved ones who have passed on. In this month's Ensign (our church's monthly magazine), there was an awesome story about a family about a family who was so very touched by the kind acts of someone else remembering their young son who has passed away. The story is called "A Small Snow-Covered Tree.(It's the second story in the article entitled "3 Christmas Stories.") Just a very moving story of a way you can perform a service to someone. And from experience, it's so true...you feel such love to know that someone else remembers your loved one besides your immediate family :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea and wonderful way to remember loved ones. You mentioned a trivet, how did you make that?

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea! I struggle to think of things (especially during the holidays) to leave on my grandma's grave site. I'll have to make one of these. It's perfect!